Thursday, July 19, 2007

Ambassador of Gringolandia

I apologize for the lack of updates recently. It's been a crazy week with my midterm exams taking turns punching me in the face. The crazy thing is- I just started classes on July 2 and we're already taking midterms here. If this ridiculous speed keeps up, I'm going to either finish my degree in half a year or move to Zula where I can relax and meditate on mountain-tops.

I do have an amusing story for you, however. Recently I was standing in a hallway of my university, just chatting to a friend when a lady came up and asked to take my picture. She identified herself as a member of the faculty so I consented, though it was a bit odd. I soon forgot about it. Weeks later, the university had a mandatory gathering for all the students in the auditorium. It turned out to be something boring and useless, as those meetings always are. The faculty decided to show us the new video that had been produced for the university, promoting the international aspects and programs we have. I watched half-asleep as the subject of the video turned to international students saying "We here at the U** have a thriving international program with students from all over the world attending this institution". That's when my picture popped up. Great. As one, the entire auditorium turned to look at me.

Later, while talking to some friends about it they decided that I was a type of school mascot, the only Gringo who would be staying there longer than a month or two and therefore had a special status. I didn't like being some kind of Gringo freak and told them so, but they reassured me saying I'm a representative of the United States, an Ambassador of Gringolandia.

No comments: