Monday, June 25, 2007

A Break From Zula

I think we've all had enough of Zula for now, I'll let the posts with dead animals and Indians continue after this brief respite. My final exams are over but I do not have the grades of my classes yet. I am scared. All were fairly easy- except my freakin' Socioeconomics in Ecuador class. First of all, I do not understand Ecuadorian names and much less crazy-long ancient Indian names, of which I had to learn many in that class. It goes both ways though. When I tell people here my name is Anthony, they get confused. What the heck is Anthony? Is he trying to use some English word? Perhaps he did not understand my question of "como te llamas?". I can repeat it a few times but it will not matter. If I say "An-to-ny" then they will get it, as that name is more common here. If they still do not understand, I just tell them to call me Antonio. It is real fun when they ask for my last name, as it begins with an S, hah! Most have to put an E in front of it to pronounce it.

So when the teacher in my Socioeconomics class was throwing around these Indian names like Ataualpa and Casicazgos and such, it slowed me down. I had to ask him to write the names down on the board. Also, he would forget that I'm a Gringo and everything he was talking about was new to me. He would breeze by descriptions of Indian tribes and modern politics in Ecuador saying "...but you already know all this." No, I don't already know this. I've never even heard about this. You see, Mr. Teacher, I come from another country called the United States and in this country, nobody knows Ecuador exists! I know, crazy huh? They don't teach us anything about your politics, Indians, or how every politician in the history of your country has stolen money and then taken a big crap on your flag on their way out.

That bit about the politicians didn't come from me, it came from him. He seemed slightly depressed as he talked about how each and every president has stolen money and enacted laws that have damaged the country. Heck- even the ancient Indians found new and creative ways to lose to the Spaniards, when they outnumbered them 10,000 to 1. At my present state of intellect and with the studies I have done thus far, I am 100% sure I could be a better president for Ecuador than any they have ever had. Their first president was from Peru, and another was even born in New York, why not me? My religion and my own morals prevent me from stealing money and crapping on flags. Ecuador would be an island of stability and prosperity in a sea of Latin turbulence.

Digg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you became president of Ecuador I would totally move there.