Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Quinceañera

I went to a quinceañera last Friday, and I'd like to share my experience here to educate those who may not have had the chance to go to one. For those of you who do not know, this is a party held to honor a young girl's entry into society as a woman. Corny and boring at times to be true, but also a fun experience.

This particular quinceañera was in a nearby town called Milagro (miracle). The bus ride there would have been much more comfortable had I not been wearing a suit and tie. Thankfully, it wasn't too hot out so I didn't sweat all over my newly dry-cleaned suit, which is a good start to the evening. I arrived only slightly wrinkled at the party right on time, found my friend, and sat down to enjoy the first quinceañera I had ever been to. The location was a beautiful grand hall overflowing with balloons and decorations, a small waterfall with brown stones was on one side of the room and a bar in a corner.

It started much like a wedding, with all the young girl's friends walking into the room as couples. The Quinceañera herself entered last with her boyfriend and all the room stood. Some announcements were made, some words were shared, then some more, then some more. Same as a wedding, lots of "blah blah ever since I have known this girl blah blah a wonderful person blah blah I like cake ect." You know the routine. It was interesting to hear how they were welcoming her into society, though. I find the idea to be amuzing, like if they don't officially welcome her she's not in. It seems they fear she'll try to go out into this indeterminate society and somehow be shunned. Ah well, it's a cute gesture I guess.

Next, all the young kids took the dance floor, and did an exibition dance. It was a waltz. This was slightly surreal, I mean who does the waltz anymore, especialy kids? And a Spanish waltz no less. I am almost certain this was against their will, as it would certainly be against mine. Choosing between dancing the waltz and having to eat an entire cuy by myself, I'd go for the cuy and consider myself lucky. I wish I could prove that they did indeed waltz but at this point the new batteries on my camera died. Having bought them not ten minutes earlier, I was dismayed. The brand of the batteries was Bic. To my knowledge, Bic makes pens, not batteries. I should have known.

A Ricky Martin number came next, the kids were obviously more at ease dancing that one and my ears hurt only slightly less. Some last announcements were made and the floor was opened up to all to dance. Which was great, except we hadn't eaten yet. I was hungry enough to eat the aforementioned cuy. Dinner was not served until one in the morning, after which the party continued until 3, which is just plain nuts in my book. Also just as nuts was the garter tradition. Every single one of the young men had to put a garter on his partner, as high as she would let him. Some of these kids were 13 years old. I mentioned to my friend that my future daugter(s) will not be having a quinceañera until she is twenty. At that time she will wear shorts under her dress, and dinner will be served in the P.M. rather than the absurd hours of the A.M. The veinteañera will soon be the next big thing in America- you saw it here first!



The Quinceañera herself.....awww....


"I like cake."

Me and my friend, she's the sweetest girl you'll ever meet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthony, come on! Where is your pop culture point of reference - ballroom dancing is totally the IT thing right now!

GringoDownSouth said...

Hah! Surely you jest. Wait a minute, didn't you and Nick ballroom dance at your wedding?