Monday, August 6, 2007

Cultural Differences

A recent incident has stood out in my mind as the moment where the gap between Ecuadorian and Gringo cultures was at its greatest. It happened at the dinner table. The family I live with and I were making light conversation while eating seco de pollo, everyone winding down after a hard day in our various jobs and studies. One of the sons of the family who happens to be just about my age decided to tell a joke. The joke goes as follows-

Three ladies were talking about husbands and how difficult it is to get them to help out around the house. One is from Peru, the other from Argentina, and the last from Ecuador. The Peruvian lady says to the others "It is so hard to get my husband to do anything. Last week I asked him to do the dishes. The first day, I didn't see anything. The second, I didn't see anything. But on the third day I woke up to find him in the kitchen, washing the dishes." All of them are very impressed. The Argentinian lady thinks of a story, and says "well, last week I asked my husband to clean the bathroom. The first day, I didn't see anything. The second either. But on the third day, I woke up to the sound of my husband scrubbing the toilet bowl." They all agree that her story is quite amazing and the Ecuadorian begins to think hard of what she can say. She begins with "I've got a story too. I once asked my husband to take out the garbage. The first day, I didn't see anything. The second day, I didn't see anything. But on the third day, I woke up to find the swelling had gone down and I could open my eyes a little!"

Ha-ha?

When I heard that joke told at the dinner table, I was in shock though everybody else around me was laughing their heads off. This family is a very conservative, well-to-do and mannered people. The only reason a joke like this would be received so well is because it is true. Ecuadorian guys are definitely into the whole macho thing. Having a wife and kids certainly doesn't prevent one from having a few peladas and perhaps even some kids with them too. Beating one or all of your partners is just par for the course. No wonder so many girls I've talked to say they prefer men from other countries.

No comments: