Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Falling on Dogs

I have a new friend. She is probably the most innocent person in all of Ecuador and a so sweet you'll get a toothache just talking to her. Text messages from her are always in English and always funny, here's a more recent one, word-for-word, errors and all. She does speak surprisingly good English but...there is definitely room for improvement.

Today is such a horrible day, the bus i had to take didn't stop, an old man yelled me, and i fell on a dog in front of a lot of people! I'm not going to encourage u a lot to this...but have a nice day jaja there's always someone who's worse than u jaja

When I first received this message, I could not stop laughing. How does one fall on a dog? I messaged her back to find out. She replied with this-

I didn't see it! I fell over with someone's leg and that poor animal was in front of me and PLAS!!! No one helped me, everybody was making fun of me =<

In South America words to describe crashing, hitting, or dropping something are different from those used in the United States. I would call them comical. PLAS!!! definitely fits that description as do some others. My favorite, though, is "DOOKETY!". A man may be describing how a car ran over his friend by using this word yet I will still laugh like crazy. I mean, how does any boom, bang, crack, or clank make a sound like "DOOKETY"? Really, I want to know.

On a more serious note, it seems my friend was holding a human leg when she fell. Guess she's not the sweet little bundle of innocence I thought she was.

No comments: