Friday, April 20, 2007

I´m a Power Ranger

So I was getting ready to eat dinner with everyone yesterday when another relative showed up. I don´t remember her name (I never do), but I know she was a foreign exchange student in Germany for a while. She brought her two kids with her, one boy and one girl. Both tiny little things with squeaky voices. I love to hear little kids talk in Spanish, they sound so cute and funny. When I finally find my Shakira and settle down, we will have no less than 5 offspring and they will all speak Spanish.

Anyways, at the start of dinner I noticed the little boy staring at me. After a while of this wide-eyed stare he called his mother over. Then wrapping his tiny arms around her head he pulled her down to his level so he could whisper in her ear. I knew he was talking about me, but what manners! When I was a child I would always ask why someone was so fat, loudly and in a piercing high voice. My poor parents :(

When the whispering had stopped I asked his mother if he found my accent strange and was curious. She replied that no, he was just awed that a Power Ranger would eat dinner with them. That is awesome! I was kind of flattered, though I hate the Power Rangers as does anyone over the age of twelve. Yet they are superheroes in the eyes of children. Granted, any other blondish American would be mistaken for a Power Ranger but still!

Another interesting tidbit I found out about has to do with the German girl that came to Ecuador as part of the same student exchange. They told me she was a very white girl, perhaps even whiter than my own deathly pale skin, though I find that hard to believe. She tried to get a tan. The result was 2nd degree burns all over her body and a forced trip back to Germany to heal. So when I mention the heat and sun this charred land has, know that I speak the truth.

No comments: