Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Soccer in Ecuador

Last night I went to a soccer game. I figured it would be a good time and it's somewhat of a requirement for living in South America. I had been to soccer games in the United States as well as football, basketball, hockey and every other kind of sport so I figured this would be much of the same. Maybe the fans would be a little more rowdy?

I had no idea Ecuadorian soccer fans are raving, foaming-at-the-mouth insane and out of control. The stadium had a huge mesh covering over the entire field separating the stadium and the soccer field itself. As I learned later, this is a necessity. I doubt the opposing Brazilian team would dare enter the field without it. Police with automatic weapons and bullet-proof shields patrolled the grounds.

When the Brazilians entered the field, the fans went crazy. It was like a Two Minutes Hate. Complete with shouting obscenities and thrown beer bottles. Soon after, the President of Ecuador entered the field, which was quite a surprise. Apparently he is a fan of the team. People went nuts. Streamers were thrown through the mesh and onto the field. Fireworks and smoke bombs went flying into the mesh and into the stands. I couldn't tell if this was a show of support for the president or not. He quickly walked off the field followed by a hundred police and just as many reporters. This wild scene was repeated every time a goal was scored. Despite the collective will of the entire stadium, Ecuador lost. They took it pretty well though, everybody left singing fight songs and drinking beer.

No comments: